There have been many items identified in a Facility Assessment that was completed by CTA Architects Engineers with the final product being a Master Plan (see drawing) that will upgrade the facility and building systems to bring efficiency to the facility as well as update it for the residents of Weston County.
Issues identified in the Hospital:
- Wasted space – old Surgery and Labor & Delivery
- Nurses Station is too open
- Patient rooms share small bathrooms
- Converted patient rooms to offices
- Emergency Department too open
- Registration area has no privacy
In the Manor:
- Older resident rooms are too small and have too small of bathrooms
- Limited bathing/showering rooms
- Dining room is too small
- Lack of space for male dementia residents
- Lack of enough rooms
- Inefficiency with the kitchen being in the basement
In addition, the building systems are greatly in need of updating in the hospital. The current systems are inefficient and dated and with new technology more efficiency will be gained. The estimated cost of the Remodel/Upgrade is $14,184,412. Kaiser & Co. of Cheyenne was hired to help with determination and assistance with obtaining the financing needed for the project. In order to ensure the Hospital District’s financial stability, four different funding sources for the project were identified:
- Hospital Cash – $2,500,000
- Grant Sources – $3,000,000
- 1% Specific Purpose Sales & Use Tax – $7,500,000
- Hospital Revenue Bonds or State Loan – $1,185,000
The 1% Specific Purpose Sales & Use Tax will generate approximately $1,100,000 per year and would be in place for approximately 7 years. This initiative will require a vote of the residents of Weston County and is planned to be on the ballot in May, 2015. This initiative is not the same as the current 1% General Purpose Sales and Use Tax that is in place in Weston County that is divided between Weston County, City of Newcastle and the Town of Upton. This would increase the Sales tax in Weston County from 5% to 6%. In the surrounding counties of Crook, Campbell and Niobrara the Sales & Use Tax is currently at the 6% level. Once the Specific Purpose is met, the 1% Specific Use Sales & Use Tax will no longer exists unless the voters of Weston County determine another need and subsequently vote on that initiative.
The project to update/remodel the facility will address the needs and take carry our facility into the future for the residents of Weston County. Any questions/concerns or ideas can be directed to Maureen Cadwell at 307.746.3733 or email@example.com.